Re: securing server

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 05:54:40AM -0700, phobot wrote:
> On May 7, 1:10 pm, martin f krafft <madd...@debian.org> wrote:
> > > use integrit/aide/tripwire
> >
> > only useful with read-only media
>
> OK, I don't get it if the media is read-only none can alter it so you
> don't really need tripwire.
> But if the media is writable so changes can be made you need to run
> tripwire to check your files.
> Where am I wrong?

What madduck is saying is that tools like tripwire are only useful if
you store their databases on read-only media.  Otherwise the same
attacker who compromised your system could modify the database to cover
their tracks.

At least tripwire has the ability to encrypt its database, which helps
to mitigate this problem.  The claim that tripwire is only useful with
read-only media is too strong; it can be quite useful without it.

noah