Re: Kernel upgrade for 3Ware Driver issues?

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 09:14:28AM +0200, Vladislav Kurz wrote:
This bight be a little off-topic, but I'd like to know if there is a definition of what is a "security issue" ? Once I learned that security consists of confidentiality, integrity and availability. And data corruption destroys integrity and availability.

CIA is a common way to talk abou the goals of computer security, but it needs to be scoped. There is no benefit whatsoever to defining *anything bad that happens* as a computer security issue. ("Oops, I acidentally deleted my own file"--no, you screwed up, "Oops, the building burned down"--bigger problem than computer security; "Oops, aliens destroyed the planet"--ditto; "oops, flakey driver ate my hard disk"--systems maintainence issue.) The end result of data security processes should lead you to backups or some other contingency plan, no shoving arbitrary software into stable because it scratches your itch. Instead of blowing the computer security horn because that horn happens to have resources attached to it, you should pursue the general systems maintenance horn because that's what this problem is. (The you here is plural, and this is an industry-wide problem.)

Mike Stone