Re: Kernel upgrade for 3Ware Driver issues?

On Wednesday 23 of April 2008, dann frazier wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 04:45:53PM -0600, Michael Loftis wrote:
> > --On April 22, 2008 11:21:25 PM +0200 Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de>
> >
> > wrote:
> >> I guess the number of systems with amd64 and a 3ware 7xxx/8xxxx PATA
> >> controllers is pretty small, otherwise this bug would have been noticed
> >> earlier.  So the sky is not falling.
> >>
> >> Technically, this is not a security bug.
> >
> > It definitely affects non-64bit systems too, contrary to 3Ware's claims.
> > We had corruption on a 32bit system, which is what prompted us to start
> > figuring it out.
> >
> > And I agree, technically it isn't, but security is one of the few ways to
> > get updates into the distribution that are NMU.
>
> But that doesn't make them security issues. Don't get me wrong, I'd be
> all for a more fluid update process for non-security/critical issues,
> but it doesn't exist at the moment. The security team controls what
> goes out as a security update, and we're not going to get the security
> team to release a security update for a non-security issue.
>
> --
> dann frazier

Hello,

This bight be a little off-topic, but I'd like to know if there is a
definition of what is a "security issue" ? Once I learned that security
consists of confidentiality, integrity and availability. And data corruption
destroys integrity and availability.

--
Vladislav Kurz