Re: Is oldstable security support duration something to be proud of?

Oh, my.

I am not a developer either.  However I spend a good deal of my time
recommending and introducing people to Debian GNU/Linux.  Of course I also support
it.  Last night I got a call from 2 (two!) gentlemen asking me how I can stand behind
a Linux distribution developed by "cry-babies and egomaniacs".  Not my words, but
theirs. Regular people in the world with real-world problems that need to be
addressed.

I can't believe that this thread has been pandered to for so long.  No less amazing
is that this person, Filipus, actually filed a bug report about this "issue" and that
it's been discussed for so long.

Maybe I'll get flamed or completely ignored because of this post, and that's fine,
but I figured that at least some of you cared about how the world views this kind of
nonsense.

It's ok to be proud when your 9 year old daughter exhibits her sense of fair-play or
when the world respects your efforts at keeping one of the most important Linux
distributions safe.  It's not OK to be proud when you keep feeding trolls like
Filipus.

--Brian

> Filipus Klutiero wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I reported #468765 about a questionable statement on www.debian.org. Frank
> > Lichtenheld wants this to be discussed.
> >
> > This statement is in a security announcement. Martin Schulze confirmed that he
> > wrote the statement. Does the security team think that oldstable security
> > support duration is something to be proud of?

> I'm not a Debian developer, just a Debian user, and I have to say that
> this "bug report" has to be one of stupidest "bug reports" I have ever
> seen.  It seems that some people have way too much time on their hands
> when they stoop to filing "bug reports" such as this.
>
> As far as I'm concerned the Debian security team is rightfully proud of
> its accomplishments.

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 23:37:57 -0700