Re: Is oldstable security support duration something to be proud of?

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:34:25PM +0000, Stephen Gran wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Filipus Klutiero said:
> > >
> > >This is longer than Debian.

> > >These are all shorter, except for Ubuntu server LTS.
> > >
> > No, support for Ubuntu LTS in general is longer. Ubuntu LTS is supported
> > for 3 years on the desktop, which is more than Debian 3.1.
>
> And less than 3.0.

This is a remarkable way to make the blatant failure to release Sarge
in a timely manner an advantage from a different poit of view.

If we really manage to release stable every 18 months, that would make
the normal support cycle for any stable release 30 months. Which is
not bad, but will drive corporate users who are used to updates being
as painful as a reinstall away from us and towards Ubuntu LTS (if they
want Debian technology) or to the commercial server variants.

Greetings
Marc

Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 3221 2323190