Re: Is oldstable security support duration something to be proud of?

Le March 10, 2008 05:45:45 pm Michael Loftis, vous avez écrit :
> --On March 10, 2008 4:33:53 PM -0400 Filipus Klutiero <chealer@gmail.com>
>
> wrote:
> > Argh. If I'm asking about a statement, that's because I read it.
> > Obviously,  the author didn't bother checking whether he was right, which
> > is why I'm  asking whether there are some people that disagree.
>
> Actually it's you who are mistaken I believe.  Since Sarge has been out
> since about 2005.  That's better than Fedora Core, atleast as good as
> Ubuntu LTS (not to be confused with Ubuntu) and openSUSE.
Ah, sorry I forgot about Fedora. Thank you. Fedora is supported 7 months after
it's obsoleted, which is 6 months after each release, so 13 months in total,
which is definitely worst than Debian. But sarge's support is worst than
Ubuntu LTS.

With that in mind I guess Debian is at least as good as others on average.
However, taking Fedora and openSUSE into account is not completely
representative, because the vendors managing these use short security support
as one of the main arguments to encourage switching to the non-gratis
editions.

> It's not as good
> as RHEL, but that's not a fair comparison since RHEL is not free.  CentOS
> may be a fair comparison but I don't know their precise policies.
It should be supported as long as RHEL.