Re: Is oldstable security support duration something to be proud of?

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 01:36:46PM -0500, Filipus Klutiero wrote:
> I reported #468765 about a questionable statement on www.debian.org. Frank
> Lichtenheld wants this to be discussed.
>
> This statement is in a security announcement. Martin Schulze confirmed that he
> wrote the statement. Does the security team think that oldstable security
> support duration is something to be proud of?

I think you misunderstand our policies.  You claim in your bug report
that Ubuntu, for example, supports a distribution for 1.5 years, while
we only support it for 1 year.  That is incorrect.  Sarge (oldstable)
was originally released in early June, 2005.  By the time support is
retired at the end of this month, it will have received nearly 3 full
years of support.  We do this for *every* release, too, not just for
some "LTS" releases.  Try getting security support for Ubuntu Breezy
Badger.  It was released 4 months after sarge, but support was
terminated 11 months ago.

You're damn right we're proud to be able to support a release for 3
years.

noah