Re: setuid binary in ktsuss

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 14:13:30 -0800 Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:

> Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac@debian.org> writes:
>
> > I'm about to upload ktsuss to debian, wich is a graphical wrapper
> > around su (much like gksu but without any gnome dependency). One
> > point puzzles me, the ktsuss binary is setuid root (so it can read
> > the root password). gksu doesn't do this (it calls su, I guess).
>
> I would expect it to use PAM, which uses the setuid unix_chkpwd
                                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^
As long as you're using pam_unix.  It appears that if you use
pam_unix2, you still need to be suid, since pam_unix2 doesn't have its
own suid wrapper [1].  (I don't know what it's like with pam_pwdfile,
etc.)

Now, whether pam_unix2 should use a wrapper or not is the subject of a
different flamewar...

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/295526
    http://bugs.debian.org/362954

--