Re: Why not have firewall rules by default?

> The daemon might have been installed by a package dependency, more or
> less by accident.  Debian should have a policy that all daemons bind to
> the loopback interface by default, but as long as this is not the case,
> I can understand why people put paket filters on hosts as a safety net.

This would be a rather silly policy to have for, say, a Kerberos KDC or an
LDAP server.  The normal installation for such packages is on servers, and
defaulting to not providing the service just makes the administrator jump
through unnecessary hoops and isn't consistent with the idea that
installation should result in a working package.