Install process certification

Hi

I'd like to know whether it's possible to check the signature of a Debian (Etch) install CD, at the earliest stage of the install process.
Indeed, right after the base-installer unpacks the base system files, apt loads the contents of the CD and checks the Release.gpg signature against the Release file.
Two problems, however:
- apt will complain if the signature is wrong, but won't if the Release.gpg file is not even present on the CD;
- this procedure excludes the udebs loaded by debian-installer

So, is there a way to secure the whole install process (I mean, besides manual checking)? I noticed that gpgv is among the default udebs, what is it used for?

Thanks,

--
Keyser