security idea - bootable CD to check your system

hello,

I am writing to ask what you think of the following idea? Something that I would like to see is a bootable CDROM which can check all the packages on a debian system. My idea is that it would work roughly as follows:

- You halt the machine and put in a bootable CD, then reboot.
- The machine boots from the CD, which is read-only and known to be good.
- It boots into a minimal linux system which will do nothing but the following:
- ask you whether you are booting for the first or second time.
- Read a floppy or other removable media to find configuration information for the machine being checked. - Read the host machine's hard drive to find a list of all installed packages. - Connect once to the network to retrieve a list of files and their checksums for each of these packages from a debian server. This list could be saved either to a designated partition on the hard drive, or to removable media.
- Disconnect from the network.
- Reboot itself.
- The second time round, don't connect to the network.
- instead, check all the binaries (and optionally config files) against the checksums. - generate some kind of easy to read report on screen, or else save it to removable media.

Do you think this would work (i.e. be a good check on whether your system has been compromised), and is it worth doing? I'm not sure if I have the skills to take on something like this all by myself, but I would be willing to put some time in to help where I can if anyone else wants to have a go at it.

Alternatively, if people don't think it's worth your while developing something like this, where should I start looking to try to put it together myself, and is there anyone at debian who might be able to help me?

yours,

andy baxter.