Re: Allow password auth for one user with sftp?

On Thursday 11 January 2007 20:15, Michel Messerschmidt wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 06:55:33PM +0100, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> > Anybody has an idea if and how this is possible?  The obvious but ugly
> > solution would be to run a second sshd on a different port, but I'd
> > rather avoid that.
>
> If I understand this correctly, it's not a matter of public key or
> password authentication but rather to give shell access to only one
> user.

Wrong.

I have users a, b, c, d, e.  All users except e can have shell access, but
beecause shell access is powerful, must not be able to log in with
password, but only with public key.  User e is allowed to log in with
password and is restricted by rssh to only use scp, sftp or rsync so that
even if that password is stolen/guessed, the attacker can at most deface
the hosted web site in e's directory.

Judging from the replies I've received so far I'll just end up running a 2nd
sshd on port 2222 or wherever.

cheers
-- vbi

--