Bypassing allowed_users with PAM in sshd?

Hi -

I noticed in logwatch reports today that someone had tried logging in as root to one of my servers recently. No surprise there as this happens every day. However I have explicitly set up a set of users in allowed_users and root isnt one of them (I also have AllowRootLogin set to false). Whats strange is that I get a report of:

    Authentication Failures:
       root (xxx.208.3.xxx): 2 Time(s)

in the sshd report in logwatch and a report of:

    xxx.208.3.xxx: 3 times
       root/keyboard-interactive/pam: 2 times
       root/none: 1 time

in the Illegal users report. And yet the number of users being blocked by the allowed users list is being reported as 2 less than it should be. This could be coincidence but I've never seen a report of "root/keyboard-interactive/pam" failures and they happen to be the same number that I'm missing.

This is on an up to date (with security apt repos as well) debian sarge.

Anybody got any idea?

Thanks

Marcus