Re: When are security updates effective?

On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 06:56:17PM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 02, 2006 at 12:28:17AM +0300, Mikko Rapeli wrote:
> >- can a process running vulnerable code be exploited to not show the
> > shared libraries and other non-shared libraries and files it had opened
> > for reading at some point?
>
> Of course it can. And that's irrelevant to the question at
> hand--installing a security update at that point isn't going to help.

I think it is relevant: should the effectiveness actions in general
be based on the host where the update was applied through lsof, package
dependencies provided and digitally signed by Debian, some other information
provided and digitally signed by the Debian security team in an
advisory or something else?

When an admin takes the chance and trusts lsof, that's fine. If low
privilege process starts spamming the world he'll propably notice. But if
making these upgrades effective is ever automated, I wouldn't like to take
that chance.

-Mikko