Re: GPG errors from apt update

From: "Sam Morris" <sam@robots.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 10:11:30 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 16:52:06 -0700, Hedges, Mark wrote:
> But then, I tried apt-get update about 5 minutes later with NO CHANGES
> and got these erorrs:
>
> Failed to fetch
> http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/binary-i386/PackagesI
> ndex  MD5Sum mismatch
> [...]

$ host ftp.us.debian.org
ftp.us.debian.org has address 128.101.240.212
ftp.us.debian.org has address 204.152.191.7
ftp.us.debian.org has address 216.37.55.114
ftp.us.debian.org has address 35.9.37.225

It would be helpful if apt-get informed the user of which server it is
having problems with to ease the tasks of troubleshooting and
contacting the correct mirror admin.

I think the problem is deeper than that.

Since June I've gotten sporadic errors with both the main archives and the security archives. Sometimes I switch the security URL direct to the UNM or klecker (xs4all) and it will work, then later it won't, so I switch back. Sometimes I switch the main archive to the frontiernet mirror and it will work for a while, then it will break, then I switch back and it will be fine, etc.

I am almost guaranteed to get these errors at least once a day.

I think it is an issue with the signing process and the mirror updates in general, not with any particular mirror.

I'm surprised more people haven't reported these problems. Maybe they were ignored because they did resemble the older problem with the signing key so closely.

Search from any web page with powerful protection. Get the FREE Windows Live Toolbar Today! http://get.live.com/toolbar/overview