Re: security support for kernel-image-2.4.27-2-XXX discontinued?

Hendrik Naumann schrieb:
Hi

The recent (today and 24.03.06) kernel upgrade leaves a bit confused. The version sarge was released with is kernel-image-2.4.27-2-XXX, the latest security packages are released for kernel-image-2.4.27-3-XXX.

What is the rational behind this name change, that breaks the automatic upgrade path?

The kernel ABI changed, so the change was needed. Install the kernel-image-2.4-686 (or whatever you need) package.

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianKernelABIChanges

(Especialy non expert users, which barely manage to do an apt-get update & apt-get upgrade will not do this transition and are left with an unsecure kernel. And also in larger installations (as in my case) it causes quite some extra work.)

Do I have to install the kernel-image-2.4.27-3-XXX to profit from the security support? That leaves me with the problem that the nvidia

yes

modules are only released for kernel-image-2.4.27-2-XXX (kernel-image-2.4.27-2-686-smp). Has this packages been excluded from the upgrade (2->3) because the package is in non-free?

Probably. However, it's quite trivial to build your own:

apt-get install module-assistant nvidia-source
m-a prepare
m-a a-i nvidia

Willi