Re: security support for kernel-image-2.4.27-2-XXX discontinued?

On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 01:18:12PM +0200, Willi Mann wrote:
> The kernel ABI changed, so the change was needed. Install the
> kernel-image-2.4-686 (or whatever you need) package.
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianKernelABIChanges

Ok, I'll ask the dumb question which has been on my mind for too long:

Why isn't kernel-image-2.[4, 6]-[386, 686...] installed by the
installer, since it is required for kernel security support?

For the record I've installed the meta package manually since can't remember
when but it is not mentioned in Installation Guide, Installer
Errata, Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 -- Errata, kernel related advisories...

If this is just a sarge thing, could linux-image-2.6-[386...] be
installed by default in etch?

I tried looking into the sarge and etch installer sources, but couldn't
find with mere grepping the list of packages to be installed to the
target.

-Mikko