Re: Target filesystem

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 07:47:45AM -0400, Brent Clark wrote:
> Hey all
>
> I seem to be experiencing problems booting up (Thank goodness for Knoppix)
>
> There are a host of errors, but the end message is:
>
> Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init
> /bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off and then I get busybox
>
> From googling this seems a common problem.
>
> Would anyone know how to force this to work?

you are posting to the wrong ml,
debian-security has _nothing_ to do with early boot!
and the actual error message is just above from what you pasted.

> From what I gather it cant detect the filesystem (think its a modprobe
> problem)

do you run latest udev 0.093-1 version? (if not upgrade)

do you pass the correct boot param in grub root=/dev/sdaX or /dev/hdaX
presumambly.

is your root device created?
check ls $ROOT in rescue console.
if not and with wrong udev and old 2.6.15 use
modprobe ide-disk

> If anyone can assist, it would be most appreciated.
>
> Kind Regards
> Brent Clark

please take the effort to research correct ml debian-user-$lang
or file a bug against initramfs-tools if the problem persists.

regards

--
maks