Re: IDS for a non-well-known protocol?

--On April 10, 2006 10:39:18 AM +0200 Lezgin Bakircioglu <lerra82@gmail.com> wrote:

Greetings to everybody in the security scene.
I have a question around the area IDS.
I am in a difficult situation, i need a IDS that shall support a
non-well-known protocol, is there any tip on any good IDS that is easy to
dev a understanding for this protocol?

I'm not sure what you're asking entirely but if I read your question right I think you want an IDS at all, you just want a packet sniffer, like ethereal/tethereal or even tcpdump so you can develop an understanding of whats going over the wire with the protocol you're looking at? If you aim to create signatures/etc to trigger alarms or log entries then IDS *might* sort of be what you're looking for.

If it really is IDS (Intrusion Detection System) you're looking for it depends on what type/level of IDS. A popular approach is to use a packet sniffing based IDS such as Snort, another approach is to setup honeypots using say honeyd/honeynet.

SNORT's site has lots of good guides on how to set it up.

Any good docs/howto or guides?
I have look t little in to snort and my thoughts is to using that, a
little complicated doc in this area but should be possible..
Any good community's tip?