Re: [SECURITY] [DSA 1018-1] No security update available for kernel-image-2.4.27-2 kernels?

Hi,

On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 11:39 +0100, Éric Magnien wrote:

> What's the difference between 2.4.27-2 and 2.4.27-3 versions? Should I
> explicitly choose one of these kernels or should I rely on
> kernel-image-2.4-586tsc?

<quote from the original advisory>

This update introduces a change in the kernel's binary interface, the
affected kernel packages inside Debian have been rebuilt, if you're
running local addons you'll need to rebuild these as well.

</quote>

Since the binary interface has changed, the kernel packages all got a
new name (corresponding to the new ABI version, "3" in this case).

Since you have the meta-package kernel-image-2.4-586tsc installed, you
should be fine with just upgrading to the new version. If you are using
custom modules, you have to rebuild them as well, though.

The latter is the main reason for the new package name. You will
experience a new "uname -r" after the upgrade, therefore any local
module binaries will not interfere with the new kernel.

hth,
Philipp