Re: "obscure" in /etc/pam.d/common-password what does it mean exactly?

Hello,

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 03:33:39PM -0800, prosolutions@gmx.net wrote:

> I've scoured through all Debian pam documentation, upstream PAM docs,
> and did extensive googling but cannot find the definition of "obscure"
> as it applies to common-password.  Anyone have any info on this?
>

> I am assuming this is where the default system password policy is set:
>

> password   required   pam_unix.so nullok obscure min=4 max=8 md5

You can find the documentation of the pam_unix module in the libpam-doc package (/usr/share/doc/libpam-doc/txt/pam.txt.gz):

        The obscure option enables some extra checks on the password.
        These is taken after the same obscure checks enabled in the
        original shadow package. This works very similar to the
        pam_cracklib module and implements these checks (it does not
        implement dictionary checks):
        * Palindrome
        * Case Change Only
        * ...