Re: avahi-daemon

On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 01:26:24PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> If avahi is not running, rhythmbox prints this to std(something) on
> startup and/or when you enble sharing in its prefs:

Notice that *most* users will not see this as they will start up rhythmbox
from a GNOME application menu and not their terminal.

> (rhythmbox:24998): Rhythmbox-WARNING **: Unable to start mDNS browsing
>
> (rhythmbox:24998): Rhythmbox-WARNING **: Unable to notify network of music sharing
>
> Otherwise it behaves fine.

Yes it works. But check out '#355238: rhythmbox: A user cannot see why he cannot
"share" music', there's something interesting in my bug report.

The funny thing is that, even if the maintainer claims that this is a
requierement, something that most people will want to use and blah blah:

a) is not properly documented (see bug #355234), not even in the application
   documentation!
b) it comfounds users, since a user that *does* wants to share music will
   enable it, the GUI marks it at enabled and does *not* work

So much for plug and play and user friendliness, huh?

Javier