Re: "Fix" of sudo with DSA-946-1

Freek Dijkstra wrote:
> The correct action in this case, IMHO, should have been to apply the
> patch (of course!), but also add a postinst script, which gives a BIG
> warning telling people that they need to change /etc/sudoers
> The postinst script by kernel-image-* packages are examples of how it
> should have done. I sincerely hope that we will shortly see a
> sudo_1.6.8p7-1.4 which has such a warning.

This big warning is the DSA advisory. If you install security updates
you have to read it, there's no way around it.

> I also recommend to that a look at bug #349129:
> "The new behaviour regarding env sanitising is not reflected in the
> sudoers or the sudo manpages and there is no news.debian file in the
> sarge package; one must read the security announcement very precisely
> to find out how to deal with the change."

If someone wants to prepare a more elaborate explanation of what needs
to be done to white list env vars and the possible caveats, please send
it to team@security.debian.org and we could send it out as 946-2, that
would be better than people reverting their installations to the vulnerable
1.2 version.

Cheers,
        Moritz