Re: closing unwanted ports - and what is 1720/tcp filtered H.323/Q.931

>On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 12:35:09PM +0000, kevin bailey wrote:
>} hi,
>}
>} these ports seem to be open by default on a standard sarge setup
>}
>} PORT     STATE    SERVICE
>} 9/tcp    open     discard

Useless.  Turn it off.

will do

} 13/tcp   open     daytime

Useless.  Time in text format, without a timezone.  Off.

ok

} 21/tcp   open     ftp

Off.  Security hole if passwords are sent, they aren't encrypted.

will be trying to move to SFTP

} 22/tcp   open     ssh

I move to another port number to foil port scanners.

good idea

} 25/tcp   open     smtp

I run postfix for my mailserver.  Much simpiler than exim.

i have actually switched to courier for this server because i was able to
set up virtual domains

i have used postfix for other clients and will be moving to it now because
it handles virtual domains and i simply prefer it.

} 37/tcp   open     time

Can be turned off, but I leave it on and change the user from root to
nobody.  I am a public ntp server and many people like to use this time
service also.  "rdate" gets the time from this service.

will turn off

} 110/tcp  open     pop3

I firewall this off from the outside.
I don't want passwords being passed to this from the outside.

they are virtual accounts which are probably left by the users all over the
place - there's not much i can do to protect these passwords - but at least
they are not system accounts

} 111/tcp  open     rpcbind

Do NOT leave this one open.

will do.

} 143/tcp  open     imap

You probably don't need this AND pop 110.
I don't run this.

} 1720/tcp filtered H.323/Q.931

Don't know what this is.  But I don't have it.

seems like it may be due to demon stopping VOIP traffic.

thanks for your help,,
kev

-- E Frank Ball frankb@frankb.us