Re: CAN to CVE: changing changelogs?

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, Joey Hess wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> >   3. The security team's work is helped by adding the CVE
> >      information to the proper changelog entry, to the point that
> >      they have requested everyone to do so.  This requires editing
> >      past changelog entries quite often.
>
> I don't think that the security team has ever requested retoractive
> changing of changelogs for CVE entries. I find it hard to envision a

THAT will give me a lot of work to track down.  This was pre BTS-usertags,
and I am not sure if it was from the regular sec. team or the testing sec.
team, and it was a passing comment on a thread.  The "requested everyone"
might be a bit strong, I suppose, since a post to d-d-a was not made.

Well, I will try to hunt it down but google ain't helping much.

> Although these days I think you'll more likely see the relevant bug in
> the BTS be usertagged with the CVE id before the package is even
> released. Once that tag is there, we're tracking the security issue and
> the changelog entry will only matter to users and other security
> researchers.

Good to know.

  Henrique Holschuh