Re: Bad press again...

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, Jan Luehr wrote:

> Again the debian security infrastructure has proofed to be accident sensitive.
> This night, power supply broke down,
> taking security.debian.org being
> responsible for delivering updates offline. The power cut off happend in the
> data center rack the server is stored in.

i don't know if it was a power supply or if it was the data center, but,

either case can be solved by:  security1.debian.org in LA
and security2.debian.org in NYC and security3.debian.org in berlin :-)

> Sometimes it's just bothers me to read this news on heise.de first.
> Nothing on deb-ann dev-ann or sec-ann.
> What's wrong here?

time and resources of "volunteers" ??  -- need "more of it"

> And what about the mentioned backup system? Is there going to be one?

backup is NOT the same as redundancy ...

redundancy allows the systems to keep working even if 1 or more servers
died ..

backup allows you to restore a dead/broken box with a new one with the
same contents .. in a few seconds or a few days .. depending on
the backup methodology

c ya
alvin