Re: On Mozilla-* updates

Willi Mann wrote:

>> Even when there is no ABI/API change, packages that depend on Mozilla
>> generally depend on exact version numbers.  I do not know on which
>> side the bug lies, but if you are saying that a new galeon package is
>> not necessary when a compatible mozilla shows up, my experience is
>> that this is very often not true.
>

> I can only speculate about galeon uploads, however galeon doesn't seem
> to depend on mozilla by an exact version number. So we don't need to
> make sure mozilla and galeon enter the archive at exactly the same
> time. However, the mozilla-locale-* packages have such a dependency.
> Can anybody tell me, why?

The reason, AFAIK, is that there is no known policy about when mozilla
will change their locale entity set and when they will keep it. All I am
aware of is that locale packages broke in the past even for minor
version updates. Thus, this practice was introduced. I cannot judge if
this is still needed, anyway some official mozilla statement or policy
about their locale policy could help to select more sane dependencies
for locale packages.

BTW, this is no hard problem, since we can circumvent this easily by not
changing the packages upstream version on security updates, but instead
using the debian version to indicate that the package is build with the
new upstream version patch attached.

--
 GPG messages preferred.   |  .''`.  ** Debian GNU/Linux **
 Alexander Sack            | : :' :      The  universal