Re: On Mozilla-* updates

In gmane.linux.debian.devel.security, you wrote:
> Looking at how 1.0.5 was binary-incompatible with 1.0.4 I can only
> assert that the community has failed already.

Although I'm not sure how an "accidential API change" can slip through
any kind of Mozilla QA, it has at least been corrected in 1.0.6 and
was not intentional.

>> Whatever solution we choose, I believe it is very important for us to do
>> it within Debian and not rely on backports or some other unofficial
>> channels.  As Debian developers, it is our duty to solve this problem,
>> and simply kicking the packages out of Debian or ignoring them from the
>> point of view of updates and security is really no solution at all.
>
> Be prepared for reality, in half a year or in one year, there won't be
> 1.0.x Mozilla Firefox packages anymore that build on Debian stable.
> At least that's what I anticipate.

Judging from their road map the stable series will move to 1.1, which
will incorporate major new features like SVG support. And there seem
to be changes in the freetype API that will pose further problems if
they bump their API requirements for 1.1 (see #314243).

Cheers,
        Moritz