Re: Question about Debian security policy

> Hi everybody. I hope this question won't be too stupid.
> When I perform a standard installation (i.e minimal), the installer
> installs many servers, and launches them (like portmap, ssh, exim,
> etc). Why? I think that OpenBSD and FreeBSD, for example, don't launch
> any daemon at all, or at least prompt you before doing that. There
> must be a reason, but I don't see it (I'm not a networking/security
> guru, so please forgive me if the answer is obvious).

I think you'll find OpenBSD launches at least sshd and sendmail
in the default install (although sendmail only listens on
loopback interface by default).  I've always wondered about
portmap in debian myself - I presume it's to do with NFS. Perhaps
it has to be part of the base system to support network installs.
--
Paul Haesler                    debian@phaesler.org

    Neutrons are wormholes. And if Blanca's dead
    clone was right, the Transmuters had all the
    degrees of freedom they could need to make
    Swift's neutrons unique.
- Yatima, in Greg Egan's "Diaspora".