Re: I have been attacked 3 times in 5 weeks

On Mon, 9 May 2005, Raph segal wrote:

> I dont know what to do to patch and secure my system. Can I get some
> advice or maybe someone who can help me?

humm .. welcome to the internet ..

- in one line: "if nothing else, patch your servers regularly"
	and hope there is no bugg vs letting a cracker in which
	could be more destructive

of those 3 times .. did they actually get in ??
	or just knocking to see if they can get in

"get in" as in they can easily do "rm -rf /" or send spam or
any other havoc they may wish to do to your server

- if they did NOT get in ..  consider them having done a 1st pass
  knock on your door and they may or may not have moved onto other
  easier targets

- lots on stuff to do to patch your servers ..
	- which ones to implement is a whole different ballgame

- for (security) starters ..

	http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/

	http://www.Linux-Sec.net/SecurityMistakes   top-10 mistakes et.al.
	http://linux-sec.net/