Re: My machine was hacked - possibly via sshd?

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 at 14:59:04 +0000, Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 13:38 +0100, Simon Heywood wrote:
> > On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 at 13:18:42 +0000, Maurizio Lemmo - Tannoiser wrote:
> > > Sorry, but this isn't correct.  kernel 2.4.18-1 in woody is patched
> > > against known vulnerability.
> >
> > The security team have quietly stopped updating it, preferring to
> > concentrate on the Sarge kernels.
>
> Please back this up with proof please. Otherwise you'll be disliked even
> more for your obvious lack of tact.

Reading my post again, it does seem pretty rude, and I'm sorry for
causing offence. That wasn't my intention.

>From what I can tell, kernel updates in Woody have been postponed [1],
so there are a few unfixed vulnerabilities in 2.4.18-1. This doesn't
appear to be widely known amongst Debian users. Based on e-mail
exchanges, I gathered that it was due a combination of the large number
of kernel packages in Woody and busy developers.

> Maybe because of this little fact you might just want to point out:
>
> Maintainer for kernel-source-2.4.18 is Herbert Xu <herbert@debian.org>
>
> As if you don't know the implications of that.

A quick search has informed me that he resigned from Debian almost a
year ago; I wasn't aware of this.

> IIRC, You were in the argument, though not hugely, which gave him
> cause to resign from Debian.

I don't recall having had any interaction with him.

S.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-security/2005/01/msg00232.html