Re: [SECURITY] [DSA 644-1] New chbg packages fix arbitrary code execution

Incoming from Rick Moen:
> Quoting s. keeling (keeling@spots.ab.ca):
>
> > Well, even mutt will, if you turn on autoload crap in .muttrc and load
> > up your .mailcap with stupid helper apps.
> >
> > Out of the box, no, mutt doesn't do that.
>
> Ja.  We might call the .mailcap scenario the "aim-gun-at-my-foot-please"

Ha!

The problem here is the nitwit factor.  Nitwits who are deathly afraid
of having to think about what to do with some obscure file format, want
their app/OS to just fscking handle it and do the right thing.  Well,
what app/OS is well known for that sort of behaviour?  And what are the
generally expected repercussions?  Oh yes.  Lookout! and Internet
Exploder, and consequently enabled viruses, worms, trojans, spambots,
spyware, ...

I say again to the original poster, get a better MUA, running on a
better OS.  I've no sympathy for your present situation.  Attachments
are a valuable feature that your system is unable to take advantage
of.  We don't have that problem here.  That's why we run Debian.

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling      Please don't Cc: me.
- -