Re: Log file IDS package?

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 04:57:41PM +1100, Andrew Pollock wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've done some cursory apt-cache searching, and nothing's jumped out at
> me...

Have you read this?
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch4.en.html#s-log-alerts

Logcheck is more or less the standard way of doing this in Debian although
others like alternative logchecking tools.

I've been meaning to look at btail (a bayesian log filter that could
probably make it easier to generate the logcheck ignore patters, see
http://www.vanheusden.com/btail/. Also LoGS
(http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/logs/) might be of interested (still
in active development, looks promising)

Note that the URL that the document points to (Counterpane's) is not
current, it should be http://www.loganalysis.org/ (wonderful source of log
analysis information maintained by Tina Bird, of Standfor University) This
is actually fixed in the document source (CVS) but it has not yet
propagated to the online version :-(

> I want to tarpit excessive SSH login failures.

You might want to review the discussion on this we had at this same list,
available at http://lists.debian.org/debian-security/2004/10/msg00118.html
(I'm not sure the PAM module developed by Kevin is useful for you, but the
thread has a lot of suggestions from many people, me includd).

Check out also http://ethernet.org/~brian/src/timelox/ which might or might
not do what you are looking for (found this while reading
http://seclists.org/lists/incidents/2004/Dec/0039.html, which is also an
interesting read)

Hope that helps

Javier