Re: Pseudo-cluster firewall

> > Now the problem: I have only a cross-over cable from the router to
> > the firewall, so I cannot connect the backup firewall. Using
> > a switch is pointless: the switch may die too.
 Switches are relatively easy to set up in failover configuration ( most
cisco gear supports it ) (well, the problem would the be, how to connect
such setup to router with single ethernet jack ).
 As far as fail-over firewalls go, they're pretty easy to set up,
apt-cache show vrrd
(or maybe even better
apt-cache show ucarp
)
 This little daemon makes it easy to set up two firewalls, the only problem
would be that in case of failure all nat-ted connections get dropped and
you have to reconnect. If you want to avoid that, go for OpenBSD and their
firewall sync. ( btw, with ucarp you can create dual firewall with one
machine running Debain and the other running OpenBSD ).
 I used to set up such thingies with debian as primary and freebsd running
as backup ( which theoretically 'protects' you from critical failures in
debian ).

--
Dariush Pietrzak,
Key fingerprint = 40D0 9FFB 9939 7320 8294  05E0 BCC7 02C4 75CC 50D9