Re: telnetd vulnerability from BUGTRAQ

On 28 Sep 2004, Dariusz Pietrzak wrote:

>> ftp == good enough for public upload and download in a chroot
>> environment.
>>
>> scp == the preferred method for data transfer between machines. Nearly
>> as fast on semi-modern machines. pscp == the windows equivalent for
>> regault *NIXX scp.
>
> What is wrong with FTP? It provides fast ( as long as files aren't too
> small ) secure ( encrypted, requires no shell accounts on server ) and easy
> ( lftp anyone? ) method of transferring files.

Fast I would concede, and easy is a matter of taste, mostly.

I don't know what you imagine is "encrypted" in FTP, though, since that
is not part of the specification or the standard implementations.

Unless you run an SSL-enhanced or Kerberos FTP client and server, within
the same realm, there is no encryption involved in FTP.

    Daniel
--
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a
lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word 'darkness' on the walls of