Re: telnetd vulnerability from BUGTRAQ

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 12:13:26PM +0200, Jan Minar wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 04:15:09PM -0600, s. keeling wrote:
> > Is anyone still using telnet when there's ssh?  Why?  I wouldn't even
> > use it inside my own firewalled LAN.  ssh is just better.
>
> I've been told telnet *does* make a lot of sense where IPSEC is set up.

Or OPIE, if you only care about keeping the password secret.  ssh has
encryption overhead, which in the PC world isn't a big deal. However,
when you think embedded devices (ssh or telnet from you PDA), it begins
to have an impact.  Battery life, for example.

--
Lee Sheridan
lsherida@leebert.org

"I know engineers, they love to change things."  -Dr. McCoy, Star Trek I