Re: apache / exe process taking 99 % cpu

Am Wednesday, 1. September 2004 14:24 schrieb Marcin Owsiany:
> Check whether the index.php looks like something that was created by
> the attacker, or it is just a legitimate but buggy script file.

It is a normal index.php File from a legitimate user. It seems to be
programmed poorly, because it doesn't check the contents of variable
that's beeing passed as a parameter to the script itself.

> > How can I genereally close this hole for now? I guess there is a
> > setting in php.ini or so. I will take a look at it.
>
> Probably there is a setting for this very feature that facilitated
> this exploitation (HTTP-enabled open() I guess). But there are two
> problems with that: new security implications of certain PHP features
> are discovered rather regularily, and many users depend on such
> features.

The russian website from which the link I have posted mentions a php.ini
setting "allow_url_fopen". We did some testing and it worked to prevent
the loading of external urls. But I am not sure if this setting can stop
that hack from happening. We'll see. :)

> Actually allowing not-very-experienced programmers to run arbitrary
> code on your machine is the more general problem we are facing, for
> which there is no easy solution.
>
> My current plan is to run PHP via suexec, so that I can easily find out
> which user's website was cracked. Then I would shut down the particular
> web page and tell the client to either fix it or say goodbye ]:->
>
> Unfortunately I hear that there are some PHP features (something having
> to do with authentication) which don't work when PHP is not run as an
> Apache module, so I cannot migrate all users in a batch. Generally, PHP
> is a little bit like a nightmare for me :-)

This is so right. I will sooner or later also take some measures,
gr-security and/or a chroot environment for apache.

Thank to everyone who answered me. I will be prepared if it happens again
and will try to record more info to provide it.

Kind regards

Timo