Re: PaX on Debian

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 13:48, John Richard Moser <nigelenki@comcast.net> wrote:
> | Before we can even start thinking about PaX on Debian we need to find a
> | maintainer for the kernel patch who will package new versions of the
> | patch which apply to the Debian kernel source tree.  We have had a few
>
> Are you talking PaX or grsecurity?  PaX is significantly less invasive
> than grsecurity.  There will still be issues, of course.

PaX.  AFAIK the only PaX kernel-patch package in Debian is the Adamantix
kernel source, which has RSBAC and a bunch of other stuff, and the GRSec
patch.  Neither of them apply to the Debian kernel source tree.

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/k/

> | We have recently discussed this on at least one of the lists you
> | posted to.
>
> | The end result of the discussion is that GCC is getting another SSP type
> | technology known as "mudflap".  Mudflap depends on some major new
> | features of
> | GCC 3.5, so it looks like we won't be getting this until GCC 3.5 as the
> | Debian GCC people don't want to merge in other patches which have no
> | apparent chance of being included upstream.
>
> Then don't use ProPolice/SSP for now.

That seems to be what will happen.  I'd rather see SSP included sooner, but I
guess it won't happen.