Re: Unusual spam recently - hummm - postprocess - recipients

hi ya blu

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Blu wrote:

> I agree, but it was suggested that any mail server should reject spam at
> SMTP time, and not bounce it at all.

yupp ... best to do at smtp time

> If my relay server (not open, but
> relay for customers) has no means to verify recipients, what to do when the
> destination server rejects that mail already accepted by my server?.

make it part of your overall services and policy, that you require a
list of authorized users  .. if you dont know about joe@your-customer.com
than you will consider it a forged acct

	- you now have a list of all valid email accounts and
	any unknown address is rejected/bounced/fried/devnulled
	( the users does NOT have to have a shell acct ...
	( gazillion ways to do this

	- you reject unknown users on incoming email addressed to joe
	- you reject outgoing mail from "joe"
	( ez to do with wireless laptops )

	- and if joe is using a borrowed laptop from the spouse
	or sitting at a different office pc ... humm .. more isssues

> Bounce.

back.

c ya
alvin