Re: Woody Backport of tripwire

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 at 01:19:13PM -0400, Giacomo Mulas wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Phillip Hofmeister wrote:
>
> > I did not realize 3.0+ was needed.  The build dependencies did not
> > specify that.  I might file a bug against tripwire for that build
> > dependency.
>
> it is meant for sid, the default compiler in sid is 3.3. I suppose this is
> the reason it does not need to be specified. This is what the maintainer
> might tell you if you file such a bug.

It is common for woody folk to backport packages from sid/sarge to woody
by compiling them use apt-get source --compile or dpkg-buildpackage.
I have seen packages with build depends of libxyz (>=3.4).  With few
exceptions most packages that require a certain version of something to
build it list that something as a build dependency (maybe a developer
can help me out here....isn't it Debian policy to do so?)

Therefore, in my mind, "it is mean for sid" is not an excuse to omit a
build dependency.  What is to say there won't be a g++2 and g++3 package in
sarge when it is released?

--
Phillip Hofmeister

PGP/GPG Key: