Re: Woody Backport of tripwire

On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 17:32, Phillip Hofmeister wrote:
> Can anyone refer me to a woody backport of tripwire (or a version such
> as 2.3.1.2+)?
>
> I know it is non-free, I like it anyhow.

As great as tripwire is (even though it's not free), I think it's not
nearly as good as samhain.

Samhain also has some problems (or rather designs that I consider to be
problems) but it's more useful than tripwire, if used with beltane.

I suggest you take a look at samhain:

$ apt-cache show samhain
Package: samhain
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 1392
Maintainer: Javier Fernandez-Sanguino Pen~a <jfs@computer.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 1.8.2-3
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4), libgmp3, debconf (>= 1.2.9)
Filename: pool/main/s/samhain/samhain_1.8.2-3_i386.deb
Size: 462520
MD5sum: 19c81b21f5dd908ed8bb5715ed6c474b
 Samhain is an integrity checker and host intrusion detection system
that
 can be used on single hosts as well as large, UNIX-based networks.
 It supports central monitoring as well as powerful (and new) stealth
 features to run undetected on memory using steganography.
 .
 Main features
     * Complete integrity check
          + uses cryptographic checksums of files to detect
            modifications,
          + can find rogue SUID executables anywhere on disk, and
     * Centralized monitoring
          + native support for logging to a central server via encrypted
            and authenticated connections
     * Tamper resistance
          + database and configuration files can be signed
          + logfile entries and e-mail reports are signed
          + support for stealth operation
 .
 Homepage: http://la-samhna.de/samhain/index.html

--