Re: Updating Kernel Using make-kpkg - Not Intuitive ?

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Nick Boyce wrote:

> Well, yes ... I guess I'm just trying to point out (like you did)
> there are n better ways to express it, in a third of the wordage.  And
> it might be nice of the make-kpkg thingy to just do the deed for you.

Please, no, don't do it. At least, don't do it by default. Many people who
care to compile their own kernels will also add some EXTRAVERSION string
to have them install neatly without overwriting things. I know I do. I
always keep more than one kernel version installed, and when I recompile a
kernel with the same version I _want_ it to replace the older one. So, in
my humble opinion, do issue a warning but go ahead if the user knows what
he/she is doing.

Just my 5 euro-cents.
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel. (OAC): +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222
Tel. (UNICA): +39 070 675 4916

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)