Re: hostnamelookup failure ..please

hello ,
I am still not able to get my REDhat Linux box to connect to the internet.
1)I checked up /etc/xinetd.d/telnet . In that the flag disable is set to no. So, i think telnet is up n running.
2)When i say ifconfig, I get eth0 and lo as running with my eth0 mask being 255.255.252.0.
3)>ifup eth0 does not give any error.
4)When I type >route, I get * for gateway in all the rows.
5)When i type >route -n, I get 0.0.0.0 for gatway for all rows.
6)my /etc/hosts file looks like this:
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

Please help me out... Help truly appreciated
Thanks
Suhail.

Rod Rodolico <stargazer@dailydata.net> wrote:
Not sure about RedHat. However.

1) Not being able to telnet to localhost may just mean that telnet is turned off. It is in
Debian by default, if I remember right. Or, you could have firewall rules that prevent telnet.
Try ping localhost and see if that works.

2) Assuming localhost is up, look at ifconfig. Make sure your interface (eth0) is up. If not,
make sure the the module for your network card is up (lsmod).

3) Assuming your interface is up, type route to find your gateway. Try pinging your gateway.
If you can get a return from your gateway, your part of the network is set up correctly. It is
an issue with your provider.

4) Assuming you can successfully ping your gateway, try pinging an external system by ip. If
you can do that, you are likely not resolving. Check /etc/resolv.conf and make sure you have
one or more nameserve rs defined.

Rod

--
Latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the world's population.