Re: setting up iptables

Hi,
von: s. keeling / Thu, 4 Mar 2004 09:56:01 -0700
> Incoming from Costas Magkos:
> >
> > Can someone give me some best-practices for setting up iptables on a
> > Debian system? I'm looking for things like where should the rules be
> > placed, what startup script to use [1], good configuration tools [2]
> > and
>
> Good question.  I'm using ppp and I have a script in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d
> that should be run by /etc/ppp/ip-up:
>
> # This script is run by the pppd after the link is established.
> # It uses run-parts to run scripts in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d, so to add
> routes,# set IP address, run the mailq etc. you should create
> script(s) there.
>
> I've yet to see ip-up execute it.  I haven't yet figured out why.  The
> script runs fine at the command line.

You've read the manpage?
DESCRIPTION
       run-parts runs a number of scripts or programs found in a single
directory directory.  Filenames       should consist entirely of upper
and lower case letters, digits, underscores, and hyphens.  Sub­
directories of directory and files with other names will be silently
ignored.

HTH
 Klaus