Re: How To Set Up Mail-out-only System ?

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 08:47:46PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Michael Stone (mstone@debian.org):
>
> > comment out the line in inetd.conf and remove any S20exim links in
> > /etc/rc?.d. Removing the S links is the proper way to keep a service
> > from running in debian; the link removal is preserved across upgrades.
>
> Nick didn't sound as if he wanted to prevent Exim from running; he
> needed it to cease listening to his outside interface's port 25.
> (Without an MTA of some sort running, strictly local mail might have a
> bit of a problem, no?)  Thus my suggestion of saying in exim.conf that
> the only interface the daemon should listen on is loopback.

The default Debian Exim configuration will still work even if you remove
the links and don't start the daemon: local mail submission works via a
setuid binary, not over port 25, and if for whatever reason the message
can't be handled immediately, the crontab fragment in /etc/cron.d/exim
will do a queue run every 15 minutes.

--
William Aoki  KD7YAF  waoki@umnh.utah.edu  /"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
                                           \ /  No HTML in mail or news!