Re: How To Set Up Mail-out-only System ?

>On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 01:41:13 +0000, I wrote:
>The idea of removing the "-bd" switch from the Exim startup line in
>/etc/init.d/exim is appealing, though I guess I'd have to remember to
>make that amendment every time a major upgrade occurred ... in that
>context, I suppose editing exim.conf is more "correct", in that
>upgrades should offer me the chance to keep my customised exim.conf.

Both /etc/init.d/exim and /etc/exim/exim.conf are Debian conffiles, which means that they will not be overwritten automatically on package upgrades.

When dpkg is asked to install a new version a conffile that was edited manually, the default behavior is, IIRC, to present you with a menu which allows you to view the diff between your and the package maintainer's version, install the new version (and back up yours), not to touch the conffile and install the maintainer's version as FILENAME.dpkg-new, and more.

 -- alexkon