Re: How To Set Up Mail-out-only System ?

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 01:41:13 +0000, I wrote:

>I've just set up a "secure" (you know .. more than usual) Debian system,
>and want to arrange things so that it can send mail out when necessary
>(in case anything happens that it thinks I should know about) but is
>*not* constantly listening for incoming mail.
>
>Is there a best way of doing this ?

Thanks for all the great advice, people.

The idea of removing the "-bd" switch from the Exim startup line in
/etc/init.d/exim is appealing, though I guess I'd have to remember to
make that amendment every time a major upgrade occurred ... in that
context, I suppose editing exim.conf is more "correct", in that
upgrades should offer me the chance to keep my customised exim.conf.

I'd rather stay with a mainstream MTA than switch to a smaller
dedicated "null mailer", on the premise that mainstream MTAs will stay
better maintained - though the smaller attack surface of the dedicated
mailers is a Good Thing I suppose.

I may need timely notifications from this box (ok, it's an IDS), so I
don't want to rely on periodic cron-initiated mailer runs.

Again, many thanks for all the help.

Nick Boyce
Bristol, Uk
--
"We did a risk management review.  We concluded that there was no risk
 of any management."