Re: How To Set Up Mail-out-only System ?

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:53:38 +1000, Clayton Russell wrote:

>On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 11:41, Nick Boyce wrote:
>> Sorry if this is a dumb question ...
>>
>> I've just set up a "secure" (you know .. more than usual) Debian system,
>> and want to arrange things so that it can send mail out when necessary
>> (in case anything happens that it thinks I should know about) but is
>> *not* constantly listening for incoming mail.

>If you would like to use postfix you can comment out the
>smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
>line in /etc/postfix/master.cf, which stops the daemon listening on port
>25, but does not affect sending mail.

Thanks Clayton - that's very useful - I was planning to look at
Postfix in due course - it seems to have the best security pedigree of
any of the popular MTAs.
[Without wanting to start anything religious here :-)]

Much obliged
Nick
--
"Bother", said Pooh, as he struggled with sendmail.cf, "it never
does quite what I want.  I wish Christopher Robin was here".