Re: help needed with firewall logging ..please

suhail, 2004-Feb-09 15:15 -0800:
> Hello,

> I need to know how can a firewall be tested against a SYN Flooder. I
> have the SYN flooder program and also configured my firewall. My
> IPtables script against the SYN packets is the usual :
>
> > $IPTABLES -N syn-flood
> > $IPTABLES -A syn-flood -m limit --limit 50/s --limit-burst 104 -j RETURN

One way is to add a line here like the following:

    $IPTABLES -A syn-flood -j LOG --log-prefix "SYN-flood: "

This will log each packet before the next rule with drops it. The
logging will go to syslog with the above prefix prepended.

> > $IPTABLES -A syn-flood -j DROP
> > $IPTABLES -A OUTPUT -p tcp --syn -j syn-flood
>
> Now how do i actually find out if the packets are being dropped.
> i.e where shud I chk my system log files to see the dropped packets
> ... I mean which file is it n under which dir ..

The logging done as shown above goes to syslog.  I use syslog-ng and
filter the firewall log messages into a separate file.

> And.. where shud I add the LOG prefix in the chains ?
> Please help me out as i desperately need to know this. Help truly appreciated.

The prefix is shown above.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer