Re: Firewall: Need Advice

On 07 Feb 2004 10:38:51 +0200  E&Erdem <erdem@turkcelinux.net> wrote:
>Hi,
>I've been using iptables (or i assuming that). But at boot time it
>gives an error: "Aborting iptables load: unknown rulesets "active" ". I
>couldn't find the problem. I searched via google, and found
>dpkg-reconfigure iptables. But it didn't help. I read a lot of iptables
>documents. But i think i lost some points, because i don't understand
>something.
>
>Before this i want to ask that, do i need firewall? Yes, i know this is
>very important tool for whose, who taking care about security. And i
>can say i'm a paranoid about security. But all of my ports closed.
>There isn't any service listen. But sometimes i need httpd and ssh.
>
>This machine shares internet connection with a small network. So i have
>to becareful about this.
All the more reason for a firewall.
The firewall should be on the machine that actually connects to the net.
Try using something like firestarter to get started with.
<quote>
 firestarter is a GNOME program that will help you  in  configuring  and
       monitoring a GNU/Linux firewall using either ipchains or
iptables.
The latest version of Firestarter can always be found at
            <http://firestarter.sourceforge.net>

</quote>
Essentially it writes scripts for you and starts itself up when needed.

Pete